Business License

The following services are available at the Building Department:

  • Building permit applications
  • Business licence applications
  • Bylaw enforcement
  • Boat launch parking passes
  • Burning permits

Coldstream Business Licence

Business licences are available at the Building Department in the Municipal Hall.

In most municipalities in the North Okanagan, a business licence is required to operate a business within the community. A business is generally defined as "the carrying on of a commercial or industrial undertaking of any kind or the providing of professional, personal or other services for the purpose of profit or gain". A business licence must be held by the owner or operator of a business, and in the case of more than one business premise, a separate business licence is required for each location.

This provision does not apply to any business exempted from the requirement to hold a business licence by operation of any provincial or federal statute or regulation. Non-profit organizations registered under the Society Act are also exempt from acquiring a business licence.

Do you need to register your business in BC? Visit OneStop Business Services
Note: A Coldstream Business Licence Application form must be submitted to the District.

Click BizPaL to access a web-based service that allows business clients to easily generate a customized list of the permits and licences they require from three levels of government - local, provincial and federal - by answering some generic questions about the business.


Inter-Community Business Licencing for Okanagan-Similkameen

Nineteen municipalities in the Okanagan and Similkameen regions have entered into an agreement with one another to permit certain kinds of businesses the option to upgrade to the Inter-Community Business Licence, allowing them to work in all participating communities.

Business owners must have a basic licence in the community in which they are located, and request the inter-community add-on for an additional $150.

Where will my Inter-Community Business Licence be valid?

  • An Inter-Community Business Licence is valid in each of the following Okanagan and Similkameen communities:
- Armstrong - Lumby - Salmon Arm
- Central Okanagan Regional District - Oliver - Sicamous
- Coldstream - Osoyoos - Spallumcheen
- Enderby - Peachland - Summerland
- Kelowna - Penticton - Vernon
- Keremeos - Princeton - West Kelowna
- Lake Country    











Who is eligible for an Inter-Community Business Licence?

  • Eligibility is limited to any business that performs a service in more than one of the participating municipalities, without an associated storefront, and who provides the service by moving from client to client. This includes contractors of all types (e.g., tradespeople, landscaping services, janitorial services, pest control, etc.), as well as other service providers (e.g., massage therapist, mobile mechanic, photographer, mobile hair dresser/barber, etc.).
  • Ineligible businesses are:

  • those selling goods or services to clients from the same location (e.g., fruit stands/trucks, mobile stores, flea markets, carnivals, trade shows)
  • vehicles for hire (for example, taxis, limousines or buses)
  • social escort agencies
  • body-rub services (which includes the manipulating, touching or stimulating by any means, of a Person's body or part thereof, but does not include medical, therapeutic or cosmetic massage treatment given by a Person duly licenced or registered under any statute of the Province of British Columbia governing such activities or a therapeutic touch technique.)

Where can I apply?

  • Submit an application to the municipal office where your business is presently located and licenced.

What is the cost of an Inter-Community Business Licence?

  • The cost of an Inter-Community Business Licence is $150 (plus your basic licence fee).

How long is an Inter-Community Business Licence valid?

  • An Inter-Community Business Licence is valid for the same time as your municipal business licence.

Will I need any other licences?

  • Inter-community businesses will still need to get a municipal business licence from their home municipality and a licence for each premises they have.



The District of Coldstream
9901 Kalamalka Road
Coldstream, BC V1B 1L6
Tel: (250) 545-5304
Fax: (250) 545-4733
Hours of Operation:
Monday to Friday
8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Closed on Statutory Holidays
Powered by CivicWeb CMS - © Copyright 2014 iCompass Technologies Inc.